Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Plum Kuchen Tart


I still haven't decided for sure if tarts count towards my pie-a-week project, but since Suzanne was returning from a week away, and the plum tree in our backyard is nearing a complete ripeness explosion, I decided to surprise her with a plum pie, and the recipe that seemed most like what I was looking for was a tart. A Kuchen tart, to be precise. More below:

Recipe is from here, somewhat randomly:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1613,145173-239195,00.html

I discovered, too late to change plans, that my plums weren't as ripe as I'd like. Luckily, the ingredients in the filling are: plums, A LOT OF SUGAR, cinnamon, and orange peel. The sugar makes up for the tartness of the plums, and actually the tartness combines nicely with the cinnamon and orange. Especially with a little vanilla ice cream.


The crust is a bit different than any I've made yet: fluffy, with egg in it. Almost like a dry cookie. (I may have overbaked a bit, so maybe it's not supposed to be dry).

Apparently Plum Kuchens are usually more cake-like. I'm finding a lot of neat-sounding recipes online, and may try some of them.

The plums generated a fair amount of liquid, and with no starch to thicken it, it's sort of gooey on top. It's awfully pretty though. Here's another photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment