Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Vacation Fruit Pies! Strawberry and Strawberry-Peach

 

On vacation with family! The farmer's market was so exciting that I made two pies instead of one. Strawberry and Peach-Strawberry. (Pictured above: special guest tasters Elijah and Kaylee Thomson.)


I used pretty much this recipe for both fillings, ( along with the same crust recipe I've been using for the last few months, for the shells), but one was made with only strawberries, and the other mostly peaches. And, instead of sugar I used an equivalent measurement of honey. And, cornstarch for the thickener. And, I skipped the nutmeg because I was at a beach house with no spice rack. (I also had to improvise in some other odd ways... my rolling pin was a plastic water glass, and instead of rolling between plastic wrap sheets I had to take a ziploc apart...

Because my dad was present there's extra-good photo documentation of the last few steps (the first part's pretty boring anyhow, which is good since I took those pictures myself...with the lens cap on.). So, here are the pictures!

Filled, frozen (pre-made by me, of course, not store-bought) and pre-baked shells (they should be pre-baked thoroughly! otherwise the fruit juice makes the bottom mushy). 

Note the visible deliciousness of the fruit. Please go to your farmer's market and buy a bunch of strawberries and eat them. You will be happy.


Making the lattice. I tend to make a lot of mistakes. But as long as the dough's pretty cold it's forgiving.


The first pie, topped:

Me rolling out dough, in deep concentration (using a plastic water glass as a rolling pin and a bifurcated ziploc as plastic wrap): 

 

Finished, and drizzled with honey:



Sprinkled with cinnamon, and ready for the oven:



Cooling on a wire rack:




And, slices! (I made whipped cream but nobody was too interested in it: the fruit itself was too tasty. Vanilla ice cream might have met a different reception).


You can tell by the expression on the faces at the top of the post: it tasted pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment