Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Honey-Sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb


Two baskets of strawberries in the fridge, and three stalks of rhubarb in the freezer. It's strawberry-rhubarb pie time!



I used this recipe yet again, only with strawberries and rhubarb for the fruit (obviously), honey instead of sugar, cornstarch as thickener (blended into some of the honey before adding), and using this pie crust recipe. I fully pre-baked the bottom crust before adding the fruit, then topped with a rolled-out top that I'd cut hearts from with a cookie-cutter; and brushed the top with egg yolk & water.

The high-quality photos here are courtesy of our pal Moses; the others are my own.

The shaped, frozen crust:


The berries, rhubarb & honey mixture:



Diced butter & flour, ready to make the top crust!

The filled, pre-baked bottom crust!


Cutting holes in the top crust with a tiny cookie cutter (there's a colorful plate underneath)! Thanks to Carolyn for showing me this trick.


Putting the lid on:


Shaping the edges:



The top crust, shaped and sprinkled with cinnamon and brushed with yolk & water:


Fresh out of the oven:





On the plate:


Obviously this has to be served with ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment