Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tamale Pie!

One of my favorite meals to cook. Savory tamale pie!


This is really my own recipe, more or less. And it's different each time I make it. This time the result actually was a bit of a disappointment, though it was tasty enough to be a great couple of meals. I'll note what I did and what I'd advise differently as I go.

First: the dough. Masa and salt and oil and water. Mostly masa and water. I prefer Bob's Red Mill Masa, or fresh masa if you can find it... but other brands of dried masa work fine.

I used two cups of dried masa, two teaspoons of salt, and about a cup and a third of water and a third of a cup of canola oil. In the past I've had better luck with less oil- in this case the oil made the crust crunchy instead of pleasantly chewy. And stock will give your dough a delicious flavor instead of water. 

Mix it up, form a ball out of a bit over half the mixture, and press that ball into a pie pan... then press out the dough until it's a pie-crust shape. (No point in rolling it, just shape it in the pan).


I then fill it with yummy pre-cooked stuff. In the past this has included roasted beets, roasted squash, roasted garlic; spinach, kale, chard. In this case the main filling was some home-cooked Anasazi beans (canned beans are fine, of course). 


Then, some avocado! Because few things are as delicious as avocado. (In hindsight, I should've served this as a topping/garnish, since the avocado disappears somewhat inside the pie).

 Then, some crumbled Soyrizo. Not for everyone: some might prefer Cho, some might prefer No rizo. But Fauxrizo is tasty.

And, I happened to have roasted up some pasilla peppers. Quickly chopped and added:

And, lastly, cheese. I added about a half-cup of sharp cheddar, and wished I'd added more.

 Now it was time to roll out the top crust. Often I don't do a top crust, but this time I wanted to be fancy. So I took the remainder of the dough, put it between saran wrap, and rolled. It's a bit crumbly. 

As you can see, I am a slovenly, sloppy, careless pie-maker.


 Once out of the oven, though, it looked pretty legit:


Here's what it looked like when served (ideally, there should have been a light, crisp salad or something... but I think we basically had tamale pie and beer).


That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment