Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Rhubarb Mania


The local farmstand keeps having awesome rhubarb. And I keep making pie. So... more rhubarb pie. This would be number four I guess. I'll probably try some non-rhubarb pies for a while after this. What can I say... it's delicious.

The detailed info is in a previous post, but here are some new photos.

First, dough balls. I made the dough, as I usually do these days, using the Four & Twenty Blackbirds recipe first posted about here.

Frozen dough takes a while to get soft enough to work with. I put the top in the fridge, and started pressing the bottom disc out, attending to the edges.

Rolled out, and placed in the pan. (After shaping the edges a little, just to an even ridge, I froze this overnight):

Here's some peeled, chopped rhubarb. I'm still not sure if it needs to be peeled... but it sure is good this way.


Sugar and flour:


 Poured into the dough shell:

 And filled with rhubarb:

(Don't forget the pats of butter on top!)

The top was rolled out to an even disc, then pressed into the edges. I sprinkled a little raw sugar on top, just because it looks good.

Here's what it looked like when baked! (I like it so much I'm including several photos.)



This is excellent with vanilla ice cream, but I served it this time with homemade whipped cream laced with cinnamon, vanilla and ginger.


Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment