Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Marionberry Pie


At request from my friend Barb, who's known me since before I was old enough to vote, I made a fruit pie using local fruit. However, since it's the dead of winter/beginning of spring, the fruit in question was frozen. Marionberries are pretty much the best berry ever, in case you weren't aware. So it's a Marionberry pie.

There's no new recipe to this week's post: the filling was made using the recipe specified in one previous post, and the crust in another. The only real changes made here: I used date sugar instead of cane sugar in the dough, and I poured the honey directly into the berries, then sifted the cornstarch in to prevent lumps.

The dough lump (the brown specks are date sugar, which apparently doesn't diffuse in the same way. This didn't appear to affect the flavor of the crust, which was quite good).


Rolled out:


Pinto beans as pie weights, for pre-baking:

Cooking the first half of the berries, and mashing:

The pre-baking crust, after removing weights:

Berry mix, cooling! (An important step. Skipped last time, and including it made a huge improvement).

A close-up of the mix:

The fully pre-baked crust (note the butter foam. I don't think this is supposed to happen, and is an ongoing challenge for me):

Whipping cream for the topping!

The finished pie, looking pretty good.




Sliced, served and topped:


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment