Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Night of two Pies, part 2: Honey-Sweetened Berry Pie


The second pie of the evening: a honey-sweetened berry pie. Quite good, sweet and tart and flavorful.



I used the second half of the dough from Four and Twenty Blackbirds' recipe, as mentioned in the previous post. (Technically this dough had a bit of sugar in it, so this pie was not sugarless. But it's close, and with a slight modification to the dough recipe, could easily be). For berries, I bought a bag of  "mixed Northwest berries" (marionberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries I think) from my local Zupan's, then defrosted them over a colander. I wound up using the entire large bag, though I think it was more volume than the recipe called for.

The filling recipe itself came from Ken Haedrich's book Pie, and is entitled "Marionberry Pie". As is typical for me, I missed a step completely and made rambunctious modifications... but the pie still came out very tasty.

Here it is:
5 cups frozen berries
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar (I used 1 cup honey)
1/4 cup cornstarch 
Prebake & prep a pie crust.  
Place half the frozen berries (I thawed and drained mine first) and the lemon juice in a medium-size saucepan. Use a pastry blender or potato masher to gently mash. Heat gently over low heat.  
Meanwhile, mix the sugar (honey) and cornstarch together in a small bowl. (This is obviously difficult with honey, and I'm not sure what the right way to do this is- my pie's only drawback were occasional starchy-tasting spots, and I think it's because the cornstarch didn't blend too well. Open to suggestions about this). 
When the berries have put off a fair amount of juice, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Increase heat slightly and bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil for 1 minute, stirring nonstop; remove from heat and scrape into a shallow bowl. 
Let cool, then refrigerate about 1 hour. (I totally did not do this and wish I had- I think the filling would have been much firmer). 
Gently fold the remaining berries into the chilled fruit. Scrape the filling into the cooled pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon. Cover with loosely tented aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Here's the result of a sloppy roll-out job: 


After lots of trimming and reshaping, I crimped the edges:


And then it looked pretty good:


Here are my berries, defrosting:



And, starting to cook:


Halfway through pre-baking:

Fully pre-baked!


The filling, almost done, with cornstarch and whole berries mixed in (note that I shoulda refrigerated these first instead):


The completed pie, cooling: 





No comments:

Post a Comment