Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumpkin


A reprise of my earlier pumpkin pie from October, only this time I think it turned out even better. I used Carolyn's all-butter crust technique. What's interesting is, I made it in a hurry, late late late, and cut corners, and basically did all the stuff that would usually make for a piesaster. But in this case, somehow it turned out pretty great: the filling (which Suzanne did the hard work on, because I was in such a calamitous rush) was creamy and pumpkiny and custardly delicious; the crust was flaky and crispy and buttery and light. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the bourbon-cinnamon-vanilla whipped cream that I served it with. That really took it the extra step.
Here's the basic crust, with butter marbling visible.


Here it is, crenellated:


Here's the filling, mixed and ready to get cooked:

Here's the crust, blind-baking with foil and my baking beans (actual beans, as it turns out) weighting the crust so that it doesn't melt into goo:

And, the final results:

No comments:

Post a Comment