Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Dueling Caramel Apple Pies


While we were gallivanting around celebrating Thanksgiving, some excellent neighbors fed and entertained our gluttonous, attention-starved cats. As a reward, I promised each of them a pie. (The neighbors, not the cats). I originally intended to customize the pie-making to individual preference, but wound up getting lazy and making the same type of pie for each: caramel apple. It's a hard, cruel, world. They don't seem too upset though.

This is the first recipe I've tried from Ken Haedrich's excellent book Pie. I used his half-shortening, half-butter recipe, and it turned out extremely well. This might be my new favorite pie crust approach, though I'm going to keep experimenting.

I took a lot of photos during this process, though I've found that the masterful and detail-oriented blogger at PieADay.com (and I thought a pie a week was intense) has a much better play-by-play than mine. And the crust is well-explained at For Your Pies Only. Usually I include recipes in my posts, but these folks are doing it better than I would, so I don't see the point. What the hell. More pie means a better world for all of us. If someone really wants the recipe, all in one place, I'll type it up; otherwise, all the info is a couple clicks away.

Here's the bag of apples I brought home from the local farmstand (ignore the pears, pumpkin muffins, salt, butter and other detritus in back, they don't really come into today's narrative):

Here's a bit of my workstation, set up for dough-making.


 Here's what a disk of dough looks like, on its way to refrigeration:




Here it is again, (mostly) rolled out:


Here it is draped elegantly over a pie-pan, not a care in the world, like a spaniel lounging by a fireplace:


And, here's what happens once the edges have been subject to some discipline, and squashed up into a militaristic ridge:

Sometimes an empty pie crust needs a layer of caramel candies to really get its act together.

Meanwhile, back at the apple ranch:

I seem to have skipped an important apple-related step, but here's the pie, streusel-topped but unbaked.



70 minutes or so later:


As the pie cools, a primitive double-boiler is assembled:

Once the caramel is poured onto the pie, nuts follow. The recipe calls for pecans, but walnuts were what we had in the house. It wasn't disgusting.





My taste-testing crew seemed pretty enthusiastic. The caramel base helped the bottom crust stay crispy, and the topping was pretty delightful too. This isn't nearly as sugary-tasting as you'd think: the caramel and apple flavors blend pretty well.


More pie, coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm moving in. Please prepare a room for me near the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never fear, Brian. All our rooms are near the kitchen! It's one of the advantages of small-apartement living.

    ReplyDelete