Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Maple-Buttermilk Pie with Rye crust


I'd never had buttermilk pie before, but it's a new favorite. It's sweet and custardy, and tangy like key lime without citrus. This recipe comes from http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/maple-buttermilk-pie-recipe.html, and the photos there prove that I have a long way to go in the pie-appearance department. However: tasty as can be. (Pictured here with a somewhat generous dollop of whipped cream).


For the rye dough, I used the New York Times food processor approach, which is familiar and quick and easy. I didn't have salted butter (who uses salted butter? that took me by surprise) so I added a bit of extra salt. It seemed to work just fine, though I'm curious about the Chez Pim technique.

The dough, pressed into rounds:


And, wrapped for freezing/refrigeration:


A couple hours later, here I am clumsily trying to press a rolled-out circle into pie-pan shape:


And, mixing up the custard:


Prebaked the crust. It looks pretty ugly, but tasted good.



And, here's the pie just out of the oven, and sprinkled with brown sugar. 



May the pie be with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment