Curious About Pies

I'm an amateur cook who'd like to get really good at making pies. I've opted for the immersion method: between August 2011 and August 2012, I'm making at least one pie per week. On this blog, I'll share my pie progress.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tomato and Cheddar Pie!

Another savory pie, this one from a recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine. I don't usually get recipes from magazines... but this magazine was staring me down, it had a pie theme, and this one jumped out at me once I started browsing. Not too hard to make... but will it taste good? Let's find out.

Here's what it looked like fresh out of the oven:



Sadly, after letting it sit for an interminable hour (the recipe calls for 1-3 hours of waiting!) I cut it open and it turned to a mushy gooey liquid mess. I'm not yet sure what I did wrong but it must have been something substantial.


It still tasted good, and the crust (for which I decided to stick with Mark Bittman's recipe (see last Sunday's marionberry pie post), with no sugar and a little whole wheat flour added) was great. But the center just didn't come together. I don't know why.

The recipe:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/08/tomato-and-cheddar-pie

Well, the two reasons I'm so pie-centric right now are (1) to eat pie; (2) to learn how to bake great pies.
Chalk this one up to a learning experience toward the second goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment